[Qgis-user] PDF output of QGIS: features disappear

Uwe Fischer gisfisch at t-online.de
Mon Oct 4 00:15:46 PDT 2021

Hello List,

I have to create a PDF map which contains air photos and vectors. With QGIS
2.14.2 (which I still run for certain reasons) it works fine, the output PDF
is about 96 MByte and contains all the features. But the PDF is not
georeferenced (which is important for use in Avenza).

So I opened the exact same project file in QGIS 3.18 and saved it to a new
qgz file. Then repeated the print composer PDF export. Now, the output is
geolocated, but there are vector features missing in an unpredictable way
(please see attachment, blue arrows).

I have read about a 32.000 vertex point limit built into Adobe products or
PDF formats, but I think this cannot be the problem here because in 2.14, it
works.

Solution ideas like "reduce the number of vertices" or "reduce the
resolution" will not work in this case, because I cannot risk to change the
shape of the vectors. Also, it would never be sure when I reduced enough to
keep all features. One cannot check every single line if it is still present
in the PDF.

What I am looking for is a solution that can make sure to preserve all the
features.

Writing out the PDF as image caused QGIS 3.18 to crash several times.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Best regards, Uwe