[Qgis-user] Incredibly slow attribute view/access from postgres v3.16

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:51:47 PDT 2021

Hi All,

Just to get this out the way... *I don't believe this is a problem with the
primary key or its index. *

I have a postgis datasource with approx 3 million features (road segments).
Yep, lot-a-data.

The rendering performance is ok & visible @ 1:50,000+ . Takes a few seconds
but hey, it's a lot of data and certainly not disappointing.

However, severe performance problems are seen whenever I am trying to work
with anything related to attribution, such as "Open Attribute Table" or
"modify the selected features or all attributes simultaneously". We're
talking around 10 minutes of "*Not Responding*".

Note: I have altered the QGIS "*Settings -> Options -> Data Sources ->
Feature Attributes and Tables*"    so that "*Show selected features*" is
now the default attribute table behaviour. So *hopefully*, this doesn't
attempt to load all 3million features.

Can anyone offer any guidance as to what I might be able to do to track
down this issue (or just fix it)? For reference, we are trying to put
together a simple editor that will allow a user to browse, select (road
segment) features, and edit a single text attribute value on all selected
features only. Fairly simple, but the UI elements we need appear to be in a
world of pain.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew