[Qgis-user] Problem with scale/magnifier

Stewart Holt stewartbholt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:08:39 PDT 2021

The Magnifier control on the main canvas status bar does not seem to
magnify, but rather changes the effective scale causing a fetch of the WMS
layer. This is a problem when this exceeds the servers maximum scale.
Setting the scale at X and the magnifier at 200% behaves identically to the
scale at X/2 and magnifier at 100%. When I adjust the magnifier, I see the
blue progress bar associated with fetching tiles. Ideally the magnifier
would allow you to magnify with pixelation, to get some separation of
features while seeing a degraded background map image. The lock seems to
only disable manually changing the scale but does not keep the WMS layer
from being fetched at a magnified scale which can result in failure and a
blank background. The documentation indicates that the lock should allow
magnification without changing scale. This seems to not be the case on USGS
WMS/WMTS layers. Has anyone else experienced this or understand what may be
causing it?

I am using Windows 10 and QGIS 3.18.3. I have seen this behavior since
version 2.

Thanks,

Stewart