[Qgis-user] NoData in RGB Imagery

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Fri Jan 14 01:38:48 PST 2022

Hey Richard,

do you have different NODATA pixels between the three bands (R, G, B) or
is it the same? If there are no differences then you can use an
additional channel as mask. I would suggest you store your imagery in
GeoTIFF with an "internal mask". Even posted a nice example of this in
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2014-August/039907.html
If your format supports RGBA (e.g. PNG), then that would be another way
to achieve this but a nice GeoTIFF should be the best solution.

Cheers, Hannes

Am 13.01.22 um 18:35 schrieb Richard McDonnell:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a general GIS query and am hoping I can get some insight from
> the community.
>
> It relates to how we deal with pixels with no data in RGB Imagery. It
> seems to be typical to produce RGB imagery as 8bit with pixel values
> between 0 and 255, with either 0 or 255 being used as the NoDATA
> value. To me this is problematic, as there can be valid pixels within
> your image with 0 or 255. To me the solution is to use 16bit Imagery
> and to assign the NoDATA value to any value outside of the 0 – 255 range.
>
> I know in DEM’s its usual to use -9999 as your NoDATA value but my
> question is, Is there a standardised way to deal with NoDATA in RGB?
>
> I welcome any comments and suggestions.
>
> Regards & Thanks in advance,
>

> Richard.
>

> ——
> Richard McDonnell MSc GIS, FME Certified Professional
> /FRM Data Management/
>
> ——
> Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí
> Office of Public Works
>
> Sráid Jonathan Swift, Baile Átha Troim, Co na Mí, C15 NX36
> Jonathan Swift Street, Trim, Co Meath, C15 NX36
> ——
> M +353 87 688 5964 T +353 46 942 2409
> https://gov.ie/opw <https://gov.ie/opw>
>
> ——
> To send me files larger than 30MB, please use the link below
> https://filetransfer.opw.ie/filedrop/richard.mcdonnell@opw.ie
>
> Email Disclaimer:
> https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/439daf-email-disclaimer/

Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater
WhereGroup GmbH
Grevenweg 89
20537 Hamburg
Germany

Tel: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 36
Fax: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 11

johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
www.wheregroup.com
Geschäftsführer:
Olaf Knopp, Peter Stamm
Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 9885

Schon gewusst?

In unserem Blog geben wir Tipps & Tricks zu
 Open-Source-GIS-Software
und berichten aus unserem Experten-Alltag:
https://wheregroup.com/blog/