[Qgis-user] NoData in RGB Imagery

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Fri Jan 14 06:54:53 PST 2022

Hi Johannes,
Thanks for getting back to me. In general we would use the same value for each band, so 256 or -9999. We only work, where possible with GeoTIFF, so the Internal Mask idea is a nice one I hadn’t thought of. Also the use of an ALPHA channel, might be an option.

I could be wrong, but in relation to the internal masking, I believe it can be difficult for some CAD and GI Software to recognise internal masking, I believe there’s even an issue with GeoServer, which we use extensively here. As you say an Alpha Band is also an option…I will need to experiment a little more!
Once again, thank you for your response!
Regards,

Richard.

——
Richard McDonnell MSc GIS, FME Certified Professional
FRM Data Management

——
Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí
Office of Public Works

Sráid Jonathan Swift, Baile Átha Troim, Co na Mí, C15 NX36
Jonathan Swift Street, Trim, Co Meath, C15 NX36
——
M +353 87 688 5964 T +353 46 942 2409
https://gov.ie/opw

——