[Qgis-user] pull data from geoserver

Hugh Kelley hghklly at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:40:56 PST 2022

Hi all,

hoping I'm missing something as I'm trying to pull data from a geoserver
[0] into QGIS and eventually grab it with ogr2ogr.

I've tried following these instructions [1], but haven't figured out what
I'm doing wrong and they're fairly old.

The latest geoserver WFS version available from that endpoint  is 2.0. Is
it possible that version is too old for compatibility with QGIS 3.20.3?

Maybe there's a setting I'm missing when adding the WFS or that it's not a
WFS that I should be adding?

when i try to add a dataset the datasource manager gives the error:

Layer is not valid: The layer pagingEnabled='false'
preferCoordinatesForWfsT11='false' srsname='EPSG:6428'
typename='DRCOGPUB:rtd_brt_network' url='https://gis.drcog.org/geoserver/ows'
url='https://gis.drcog.org/geoserver/ows?version=2.0.0' version='2.0.0' is
not a valid layer and can not be added to the map. Reason:

(end of error message, the "reason" is left blank)

to me that looks as though the url is being built incorrectly.

when I paste:

https://gis.drcog.org/geoserver/ows?service=wfs&version=2.0.0&request=GetCapabilities

into the url box, QGIS is switching that to :

https://gis.drcog.org/geoserver/ows?version=2.0.0

thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. I was pleased to see an
organization using open source instead of the esri cloud services that I
see more frequently so hopefully this is something I can figure out.

Hugh

[0]: https://gis.drcog.org/geoserver/web/
[1]: https://www.lifeingis.com/adding-layers-from-geoserver-in-qgis/
--