[Qgis-user] how to simplify polygons without loosing too much information

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Mon Jun 27 07:58:11 PDT 2022

Hey Michael,

the algorithms involved are Douglas-Peucker and Visvalingam. With those
terms you might find some nice explanations and guidance online. Some
quick links:

- http://bl.ocks.org/msbarry/9152218
- https://dulldrums.github.io/polygon-reduction-algorithms-demo/
- https://ignf.github.io/CartAGen/docs/algorithms/line/visvalingam.html

For your use case (keeping the overall shape) I would try Visvalingam
first as that is pretty much its goal too.

Cheers, Hannes

Am 27.06.22 um 16:52 schrieb Michael.Dodd via Qgis-user:

> I know there are various simplify tools in qgis but perhaps I don’t
> understand how to use them best. I want to simplify i.e. reduce the
> number of nodes in a polygon without changing the overall shape too
> much for country or similar outlines.  When I have tried this the
> simplify tends to chop off bits that a human doing a manual
> simplification would not, in some areas the simplification could loose
> loads of nodes whereas in other areas it needs to keep more of them or
> the overall shape will be greatly changed. Is there anyway round this
> or am I asking for something that is not logical?

Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

Schon gewusst?
In unserem Blog geben wir Tipps & Tricks zu Open-Source-GIS-Software
und berichten aus unserem Experten-Alltag:
https://wheregroup.com/blog/

WhereGroup GmbH
Grevenweg 89
20537 Hamburg