[Qgis-user] Automating creation of county distribution maps

Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV epicroadtrips at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 05:35:37 PST 2022

On 3/10/2022 11:04 AM, chris hermansen wrote:
> Perhaps others are better understanding how you want to visualize the
> distributions, but what I get from your description is that if you have
> 100 (or 2500) species then you will have 100 (or 2500) maps, which
> sounds unwieldy to me.

I neglected to mention the use for the distribution maps.
They will be used in a print brochure.
A page mock up can be seen here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ktn5quT6s6SRwrzBA

The USA distribution map in the mock up was made in Qgis using the
information from:
https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=BODI2

This is interactive and will display down to the state and county level.
However, they are not up to date at the state/county level. If they were
I would simply make a screen shot and that would be the end of it.

The state distribution map used in the mock up was made using Qgis based
on data from the West Virginia University Herbarium which has the most
up to date information on distribution.

WV-Mike