[Qgis-user] Automating creation of county distribution maps

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Mar 11 06:07:08 PST 2022

I've struggled with the same sort of problem over the years, of building something for print from digital data in a reusable way.  Maybe reusable isn't unnecessary for your project, but another big piece for mine was maintaining and displaying the correct scales.   In the end, it made the most sense (for us) to simply build an online Mapping system with all the data and send in the combinations needed as Web queries to build each page.  There are a multitude of tools available for web call automation.

Bobb

On 3/11/22, 7:35 AM, "Qgis-user on behalf of Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV via Qgis-user" <qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

    Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

    On 3/10/2022 11:04 AM, chris hermansen wrote:
    > Perhaps others are better understanding how you want to visualize the
    > distributions, but what I get from your description is that if you have
    > 100 (or 2500) species then you will have 100 (or 2500) maps, which
    > sounds unwieldy to me.

    I neglected to mention the use for the distribution maps.
    They will be used in a print brochure.
    A page mock up can be seen here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ktn5quT6s6SRwrzBA

    The USA distribution map in the mock up was made in Qgis using the
    information from:
    https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=BODI2

    This is interactive and will display down to the state and county level.
    However, they are not up to date at the state/county level. If they were
    I would simply make a screen shot and that would be the end of it.

    The state distribution map used in the mock up was made using Qgis based
    on data from the West Virginia University Herbarium which has the most
    up to date information on distribution.

    WV-Mike