[Qgis-user] Importing spreadsheet: Strange behaviour

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:38:30 PST 2022

Bernd and list,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022, 12:08 Bernd Vogelgesang via Qgis-user <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> for quite some time, I hold frequently changing data in a xlsx-file.
> Working in a spreadsheet application is so much more efficient sometimes.
>
> This spreadsheet easily imports by drag and drop, the import dialog pops
> up where to choose which tab to import, and finally the table is there
> with the first row as column heads.
>
> Now, I'm getting just nuts.
>
> I'm trying to do the same with other data, and whatever I try, it
> imports the table ignoring the header row, so its Field1, Field2...
>
> Findings so far:
>
> I had a long file name. With this, there was no import dialog, but the
> first tab was imported immediately, but without the header row.
>
> I saved the file with a short file name, and now the import dialog asks
> which tab to import. But still, the first data-row is ignored.
>
> Dragging my other already existing file into that project works just
> perfectly.
>
> What could be the reason for this behaviour?

Clutching at straws here...

Sometimes when making a pivot table in LibreOffice calc I notice that
column headings (first row) aren't interpreted as such.

This seems to occur on the following scenarios:

1) a column has an en empty cell in row 1 (or missing title)

2) a column exists outside the area of interest with no header (this
probably would not apply in your case, but maybe you have some calculations
to the right of your data which don't have a column header)

3) there are some "strange" characters in one or more header fields (I
can't recall precisely what constitutes "strange")

What you might want to do is save a copy of your spreadsheet, then delete
anything to the left or right of your columns, and check that your column
names are all "legal variable" names ie begin with a letter, only letters
and numbers

I hope this helps; good luck!

Chris