[Qgis-user] Classify road network into dead-end links and links connected on both ends

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Mon May 2 08:09:34 PDT 2022

While I agree that Shapefiles are often not ideal, GeoPackage or any
other fancy modern format would have the same issues. They have
implicite topology (the spatial relationships of the geometries defines
what is connected and what is not), not explicite topology.

You should find tools to do this fairly easily but if your data is not
have "perfect" "geometric topology" it might have some false negatives
or positives. Going via GRASS tools might be the best approach. Or some
routing tools that are based on those common kinds of data.

Cheers, Hannes

Am 02.05.22 um 11:07 schrieb Zoltan via Qgis-user:
> that's why SHP files need to die: They're too simple to use, so also
> get used by people less "in the know"
>
> On 2022-05-02 11:05, Roland Spielhofer wrote:
>> I totally agree with you, but the shape is all I got from the client
>> - nothing better is available at his side...
>> *Gesendet:* Montag, 02. Mai 2022 um 10:49 Uhr
>> *Von:* "Zoltan via Qgis-user" <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>> *An:* qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
>> *Betreff:* Re: [Qgis-user] Classify road network into dead-end links
>> and links connected on both ends
>> Sigh, this is where SHP-file hell comes in - it's the scourge of GIS.
>> Wouldn't it have been nice if your road network was in a data
>> structure that allows you to go to each point and ask it "how many
>> lines emanate from me"?
>>
>> Sorry, I know this is not helpful to you, but the SHP file format
>> needed to have died 20 years ago.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Zoltan
>> On 2022-05-02 10:35, Roland Spielhofer via Qgis-user wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>     I have a road network (Shape linestring) where I would like to
>>     classify all links that are dead-end and compute the share of the
>>     dead-end links in relation to the total network length.
>>     I am pretty sure this is possible in QGIS or a plugin - any
>>     pointers would be appreciated.
>>     Regards,
>>     Roland

>> --

>> Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
>> Director, Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
>> GIS and Photogrammetric Services
>>
>> Cape Town, South Africa.
>>
>> Mobile: +27-83-6004028 (Signal, not WhatsApp)
>> www.geograph.co.za
>
> --

> Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
> Director, Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
> GIS and Photogrammetric Services
>
> Cape Town, South Africa.
>
> Mobile: +27-83-6004028 (Signal, not WhatsApp)
> www.geograph.co.za

Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

Schon gewusst?

In unserem Blog geben wir Tipps & Tricks zu Open-Source-GIS-Software
und berichten aus unserem Experten-Alltag:
https://wheregroup.com/blog/

WhereGroup GmbH
Grevenweg 89
20537 Hamburg