[Qgis-user] quit() and exit()

Asim asimrp at lavabit.com
Mon May 2 11:35:32 PDT 2022

On 5/2/22 9:36 PM, Stephen Sacks via Qgis-user wrote:
> I would like to terminate a Python script gracefully.  Both quit() and
> exit() not only abort the script but end the entire QGIS app.

Assuming the script runs as a QGIS plugin, a better alternative is to
raise an exception, which will be reported in the QGIS messages tab.

class MyPluginException:
     pass

if not filePath.is_file():
     # This line should cause the exception message and
     # a stack trace be reported in the QGIS messages window.
     raise MyPluginException("Unable to find file %s" % fName)

I remember using QgsMessageBar [1] once to provide better cues in the
QGIS UI.  It generates a message bar with background color set according
to the severity of the message (info, warning, error).

Hope that helps.

Asim

[1]
https://qgis.org/pyqgis/master/gui/QgsMessageBar.html?highlight=qgsmessagebar#qgis.gui.QgsMessageBar.pushMessage