[Qgis-user] Styling: deterministic label placement

Schmidt.Sebastian IT-UL-KL-SL Schmidt.Sebastian2 at swm.de
Fri May 6 04:18:10 PDT 2022

Hi QGIS Team,
at our company, we're having a quite complex setup of QGIS Projects and Layers.
To get stability into our services we're currently doing some research in terms of automated Quality Assurance of our QGIS Projects.
We want to avoid regressions in the graphical output of our QGIS Server WMS Services.

Therefore, we'd like to compare Images before/after an Update of QGIS Server version and/or the styling Project.
We noticed that the label placing algorithm when using the standard automated label placing engine of QGIS is not deterministic, ie. when fetching the same WMS Layer twice, we can get different results in terms of position of the labels, even if the underlying data and style settings are unchanged.

I found various tickets on github for this issue, #28386 and #28174 and wanted to ask if someone can confirm this nondeterministic behaviour?
Are there options to get it deterministic (but still let QGIS choose automatically where to place labels)?
I guess it would be some major effort to allow deterministic automated placement, right?

Kind regards,
Sebastian

SWM INTERN