[Qgis-user] New objectid numbers after using DIFFERENCE

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Wed May 11 08:03:14 PDT 2022

Hi,

If you are using a geopackage, you are probably getting a message that
the file cannot be saved as geopackage requires a unique id field.   You
can open the field calculator and update the field using $id  for the
unique ID field.  If you delete this unique ID field, it will be
recreated correctly if you delete the field and save the file (if you
save in a geopackage file format).  (I guess this also has the potential
to corrupt the file so this would be a last chance option).  You can
also use the  autoincremental field function found in processing if you
don't have a unique id field.

Nicolas

On 2022-05-11 5:32 a.m., Keith Trees via Qgis-user wrote:

> Windows
>
> Hi All
>
> I have two vector polygon layers, soil and native vegetation
> respectively. I used vector-geoprocessing tools-Difference to get the
> output of the soils that had no native vegetation.
>
> The problem is that there are now multiple polygons that share the
> same objectid as they are remnants of an original polygon. This is
> repeated through the layer.
>
> How can I renumber the objectids so each polygon has a unique value?
>
> I need to be able to identify each polygon and also calculate its area.
>
> Regards
>
> Keith

Nicolas Cadieux
https://gitlab.com/njacadieux