[Qgis-user] No GetFeatureInfo request sent in QGIS Desktop on WMS layer

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri May 20 09:19:46 PDT 2022

Hi Andreas,

(so great to see the QGIS + MapServer communities working together here)

Inspired by your questions today, I gave another round of updates to the
MapServer documentation, improving the examples for GetFeatureInfo etc.

Besides what was mentioned already, you might also consider setting the
"gml_" metadata parameters for your layer, to send the geometry as part
of the "Feature" response (in the Identify Results / GetFeatureInfo
window of QGIS, select "Feature" in the dropdown box) [note that often
that Feature dropdown is blank in that QGIS window until I first chose
either "text" or "html" and reselect "Feature" to get the GML format
request through GetFeatureInfo sent back to QGIS].  Here are those
parameters:

MAP
    WEB
      METADATA
        "wms_title"          "WMS Demo Server"  ##required
        "wms_abstract"       "Longer description of your service"
##recommended
         "wms_onlineresource"
"http://yourpath/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/path/to/your-mapfile.map"
##required (must change mapfile path)
         "wms_srs"            "EPSG:3978 EPSG:3857 EPSG:4269 EPSG:4326"
  ##recommended
         "wms_enable_request" "*"   ##required
         "wms_getfeatureinfo_formatlist"
"text/plain,text/html,application/vnd.ogc.gml,gml" ##recommended
     END #metadata
   END #web
   LAYER
     METADATA
       "wms_title"         "Parks"   ##required
       "wms_abstract"      "Longer description of your layer" ##recommended
       "wms_include_items" "all" ##optional
       "gml_include_items" "all" ##optional
       "gml_featureid"     "ogc_fid" ##optional
       "gml_geometries"    "msgeom" ##optional
       "gml_msgeom_type"   "multipolygon" ##optional
     END #metadata
     TEMPLATE "empty" ##recommended (enable GetFeatureInfo / can point
to valid .html template)
   END #layer
END #map

Or see the example WMS Server mapfile at:
https://mapserver.org/ogc/wms_server.html#sample-wms-server-mapfile

Again, it's excellent to see the QGIS & MapServer communities working
together, thanks for this! :)

PS. I bet I've listed QGIS there on that WMS Server document page for
now 20 years, as the recommended desktop client for testing, ha.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training