[Qgis-user] Error export .shp to .gpx

Thayer Young thayeray at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 16:29:31 PDT 2022

 Hi Mike,
The GPX format has a short list of allowed field names . So either you have to convert all your fields to fit that list, or you can use gpx extensions and it will allow you to use your designated names. Depending on where you want to transfer the GPX file to, your device may not be able to understand the extension fields. So converting the fields names to may be your best choice.

You can use the "Export POI" plugin if you are exporting points. You can ignore the "Category" input, unless you want to split your file into multiple files depending on the value in the "Category" field. You want to set it to export three of your fields to the gpx fields: "name", Description "desc", and Comment "cmt". If you have more fields you should try combining them with the field calculator and then use the POI Exporter.

If you want to try gpx extensions you can scroll down in the QGIS "Export" GPX dialog, near the bottom in the "Datasource Options" you should change "GPX_USE_EXTENSIONS" to "yes".

There may be other plugins that others can tell you about.

-Thayer