[Qgis-user] adding a layer from a zipped file

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon May 30 00:44:08 PDT 2022

Hi Stephen,

Wild guessing here (not tested).

I think: GDAL is responsible for loading the data from shape OR zipped shape
QGIS is responsible for loading of a corresponding qml file.

Normally, when QGIS (using GDAL) loads foo.shp, it will check if there is a foo.sld or foo.qml NEXT to it, and if so, uses it to STYLE the data.

Now if you zipped foo.shp+files into foo.zip...
Maybe QGIS is clever enough to ALSO look INTO the zip (and if not, this would be a nice Feature Request...)
But else: try to put foo.qml next to the foo.zip

But if you zipped the files into bar.zip...
Then I would try to put a 'bar.qml' next to it (and hoping that QGIS decides that it has the same 'base name'.

If all that fails: I would create a Feature Request for it (or start using Geopackages ...)

Note that using geopackages, you also have 1 file, and you can save style INTO the geopackage (and even put more layers+styles into it etc etc).

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde