[Qgis-user] Announce - migrate our mailing lists to Discourse

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:57:24 PDT 2024

Hi Tony,

we know about mailman3 rewrite. from the tests of SAC and other
projects, it was not conclusive.

About keeping both system, this is the best way to fragment a bit more
our community, which already is dispersed through too many channels.
This is the problem we want to fix here.   This is a hard requirement in
this move, ie stay DRY.

Gnome, Mozilla and Ubuntu are all fighting against the same issue. We
try to clarify which should be the official channels, and still want to
offer communication means that are really used. From my perspective, I
use Discourse mainly by mail, and have the additionnal possibility of
using the web UI to write markdown , add images and color syntaxed code.
I woud not see the benefit of having to "also" keep monitoring other
mailing lists.

Cheers

On 04/04/2024 01:07, Tony Bazeley via QGIS-User wrote:
> I'm not against new communication channels, but imagine the maximum  > benefit would be obtained by adding a discourse channel while
keeping > the mailing list channel, and perhaps reviewing use after a
period of > time. > > And just BTW, Mailman has just completed an
upgrade to a major new > version so I'd be interested to learn the basis
of claims for "end of > life" > > On Thursday 4 April 2024 8:53:47 AM
ACDT Greg Troxel via QGIS-User > wrote: >> What I meant mostly is two
things: >> >> People like me tend not to be happy about things turning
into >> forums and are likely to participate less. As an example, >>
openstreetmap moved from mailinglists to forums and I have not, so >> I
interract far far less and spend more time on other things. I am >>
probably somewhat unusual (started doing email in the 70s), and >> here
probably only strk thinks I"m normal :-) >> >> My perception, perhaps
off base, is that discourse facilitates >> people showing up, posting a
question, and getting replies to the >> question, without also getting
delivered to them everything else >> on the "mailing list". Thus I
expect a lot more help desk type >> interactions, where new people ask a
question and don't really >> engage, rather than joining the community.
Many projects have >> communities of long-term participants who get to
know each other. >> Partly from on-list, but partly from off-list
converstations which >> are enabled by getting emails with the other
person's email >> address. I don't see this happening in a discourse
world. I'm not >> arguing there are no mechanisms and that people could
not make it >> happen. I am saying that I expect it to happen much less
in >> practice. >> >> I don't have any good ideas about the first
pointl. >> >> The second point could be addressed by allowing web
signup, but >> allowing posting only if one has email delivery of all
messages, >> and having the From: address be the person, and not
breaking DKIM >> signatures. In short, having the email interface be a
first-class >> non-broken mailinglist, while also having a forum view.