[Qgis-user] Moving many project files - bulk updating paths to tables?

Fernando M. Roxo da Motta petro at roxo.org
Fri Apr 5 05:46:13 PDT 2024

On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 10:15:58 +0200, Antonio Viscomi via QGIS-User
<qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi Tony,
> if you're using linux what you need is simply use the 'sed' command by
> terminal as i.e.:
>
> *sudo sed -i 's/NEWPATHTOSUBSTITUTE(your path or IP or
> domain)/OLDPATH/g' *.qgs*

  Almost, I think.

  The syntax should be:  sed -i 's/OLDPATH/NEWAPATH/'

  As PATH usually have "/" in it, I suggest to change to:

      sed -i 's#OLDATH#NEWPATH#'

  To have to escape the slashes in the PATHs.

  Two other suggestions would be:

    -  Only use sudo(8) if the superuser power is necessary, if the
       files are owned by the user do not use sudo(8).

    - instead of using the "-i" parameter, that edit the files in
      place, change the command to produce another new file in the exit.
      In this way if you notice an error in the a pattern (in or out)
      it will be easier to recover.    Even better, make a copy of the
      files before trying to edit them.

  Perhaps something like:

$  find . -type f -name *.qgs -exec sed 's#OLDATH#NEWPATH#' {} > {}.new \;

  HTH