[Qgis-user] [QGIS-Developer] Announce - migrate our mailing lists to Discourse

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 08:00:48 PDT 2024

Hey Adam,

On 10/04/2024 16:19, Adam Nielsen wrote:
>> At PSC, we discussed this topic and decide to phase the migration plan,
>> by starting  QGIS PSC and QGIS users first. Those are the first places
>> we want users to jump in easily.
> What's the reason you want users to be able to jump in easily?

I didn't see it coming honestly.  Make it hard for them so only the best
ones can join us?

> In my own experience, if it's too easy for people to ask questions,
> then they tend to do so before doing their own research.  This runs the
> risk that they will ask a question before bothering to do even a simple
> web search, resulting in many low-effort questions that the askers
> could easily have solved themselves.

Don't you think it is already the case. Moderators everywhere are doing
this job to remind people to just do their homework before asking.

I also heard yesterday another argument, given that we have
StackExchange, mailing list and forums would be of no use.  Except you
don't discuss on StackExchange, you only ask questions. And we don't own
the content (side remark) there.

Don't you also think that AI stuff will catch all those questions asked
too quickly ?

> The end result is that humans end up functioning like AI LLMs - they
> simply repeat parts of the documentation that people could not be
> bothered to search for themselves.

Would you want to make life harder for those who still want to learn,
but just don't get the mailing list stuff?

> Now if you like repeating similar answers to simple questions then
> that's fine, but most people tend to get bored with that and lose
> interest fairly quickly, or become rude with their replies as they are
> tired of repeating the same basic information over and over again, and
> this then tarnishes the community as "hostile" or "toxic" to new users.

 From my experience, stupid questions are either not answered, or very
gently refocused on the good way of asking questions, which is also
something I like in our communities.

> This is why generally speaking, it's often better to add some hurdles
> in before people can ask questions, such as figuring out how to
> subscribe to an e-mail list.  It means people will do some web searches
> first as they are the easier option, and only ask the community for help
> if they really are stuck and really do need help.  This cuts down on a
> lot of low-effort questions and demands less time from community
> volunteers responding.

This is a radical point of view. Another option is to make them pass
through helpers that reminds them to search before asking. Something
positive, like when you create an issue in gitlab and the UI gently
propose you existing similar questions when you start typing.

> If you still think Discourse is the way to go, I would suggest running
> it in parallel with the e-mail list for a few months, and compare how
> many questions get answered there vs here.

We can't mirror with both sides being written. If we go this way, we
would all have to follow both channels. Older ones will stay in mailing
lists, Users will try Discourse, community is split in half.

I remind you that the issue is that we do not have any plan at osgeo to
provide a mailman 3 solution. And new users just don't use mailing
lists. This is a fact. Myself in my new job being forced to use outlook
f**ing client, I can't realistically follow our lists anymore. This is
also a fact. We  try to answer to this reality.

Clearly if Discourse doesn't make it for PSC and user lists, after
correct communication and after the transition period, we'll discuss it
again.

Cheers

Régis