[Qgis-user] Move to discourse

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Thu Apr 11 23:44:51 PDT 2024

Hi Iain,

read this with a grain of salt ;)

Please keep the discussion about the move to Discourse in the existing
thread: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2024-April/054265.html
As this is a mailing list, there is no inherent structure or moderation
tools to keep messages grouped to a specific topic.

> I am not sure what is being proposed here – is this list, QGIS-User to
> close or move?

You can find the answer in Régis original post. He spent considerable
time in documenting the plans and detailed use-cases. tl;dr: You could
still use it, and participate as if you were on a classic mailing list.

> Are we then to ban “lazy” users from asking “trivial questions”
> because QGIS is so well documented.
> I propose that a QGIS-Elite user group be set up and those who want to
> can move there leaving us Users to ask our trivial and unresearched
> questions in this forum.

If a modern web forum would filter out elitist people who do not
empathize with beginners, then ... good riddance and on to a happier place!
I saw no mention anywhere of plans to make the forum less inviting or to
ban simple questions. The opposite actually, the forum is an initiative
to make community participation *more* inviting.

It is not hard to use a modern forum by the way, I am sure people would
be helpful with any questions if the documentation of Discourse is
inadequate.

To be honest, I am unable to gauge if you are proposing those things in
honesty or if it is meant as hyperbole. My replies above are hopefully
clear in cheeky spirit ;)

A modern forum would hopefully attract *more* QGIS users, in any way.
People who might not have had a suitable way to ask their questions or
share their knowledge might arise from the depths of the *huge* hidden
community. That's what I believe in and what I hope for.

Cheers, Hannes

PS: Obviously not a mail on behalf of my employer or in any way related
to it but since my subscription mail address is inevitable publicly
attached to messages on a mailing list, it implicitly appears that way.
Forums provide better options for persona management and privacy.