[Qgis-user] Editing GPKG from network drive

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 13 04:19:36 PDT 2024

Simon Gröchenig via QGIS-User <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> a project partner "sometimes" struggles to edit GPKGs that are saved
> on a network drive. Trying to modify the GPKG in QGIS results in the
> following error:
>
>> Provider errors: OGR error committing transaction:
>> sqlite3_exec(COMMIT) failed: disk I/O error
>
> No problems occur modifying the same GPKG when it is located on a
> local drive.

You didn't say what "network drive" means.  My impression is that the
locking sqlite depends on doesn't necessarily work reliably in
Windows/CIFS.   I don't expect I/O error, though.

You also didn't say whether you mean "on the same gigabit ethernet wired
lan" or "on a cell modem on the other side of the planet while the
file server holding a database is on a 9600 bps dialup modem"....

If you need a network-accessible database (which seems like a normal
thing to need!) then a good plan is likely to...  install a
network-accessible database.  I personally would install
postgresql/postgis, which is designed for both concurrent network access
and geospatial.  (I'm using it on the same machine, because I don't have
your sharing requirements.)