[Qgis-user] Editing GPKG from network drive

Simon Gröchenig simon at sgroe.at
Fri Aug 16 07:47:29 PDT 2024

Hi,

thank you for these insights and suggestions.

@greg: it is a ethernet wired network-drive.

The problem probably occurs due to hourly backup tasks. These are
reading the GPKGs also during edit sessions. And that triggers the
errors.

All the best
Simon

Am 13.08.2024 09:41, schrieb Francesco Pelullo:

> Hi Simon,
>
> We're usually store data in .gpkg on network drive.
>
> Data access in read mode is very nice, also with dozen concurrent
> users.
>
> Instead, writing data in .gpkg on network drive can cause errors,
> specially if from two or more concurrent users.
>
> This is because of limits of SQLite format. In past, there was
> suggestions about a "semaphore" file that prevents to edit .gpkg file,
> if another user is editing.
>
> My suggestion is: split .gpkg in smallest parts, assign every area (or
> part) to a user, merge parts at the end.
>
> Or, use PostGIS.
>
> Regards
>
> Francesco
>
> Il mar 13 ago 2024, 09:30 Simon Gröchenig via QGIS-User
> <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> ha scritto:
>
> Hi list,
>
> a project partner "sometimes" struggles to edit GPKGs that are saved on
> a network drive. Trying to modify the GPKG in QGIS results in the
> following error:
>
> Provider errors: OGR error committing transaction: sqlite3_exec(COMMIT)
> failed: disk I/O error
>
> No problems occur modifying the same GPKG when it is located on a local
> drive.
>
> I found the following 8-year-old qgis-user thread:
> https://qgis-user.osgeo.narkive.com/bjrGqIjn/something-to-think-about-geopackage-and-wal
>
> Is this thread related to the disk I/O error?
>
> I would also like to ask if GPKGs or SQLite-DBs are still unsave to use
> from network drives!? Is there any current information about this
> somewhere?
>
> Best regards
> Simon

Simon Gröchenig
GIS Support und Training
Treffling 73 - 9871 Seeboden - Österreich
Tel.: +43 699 11223122
E-Mail: simon at sgroe.at