[Qgis-user] Recovering corrupted qgz and qgs file

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Sep 25 11:53:30 PDT 2026


"Fielding, Eric J (US 321G) via QGIS-User" <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
writes:

> I have a qgz project file that I last saved with QGIS 3.44-13 and it
> seems to be corrupted. I am using macOS. When I installed the latest
> LTR update QGIS 3.44-14, I tried to open the project file and the app
> immediately crashes. I unzipped the qgz to look at the qgs and I did
> not see anything obviously wrong.
>
> Is there a way to recover this project, or do I have to start over?

I would suggest running an xml validator on it, and then hand-editing to
remove half the layers (saving original of course :-) and so on, to see
if you can figure out what is provoking the crash, and keep the other
98%.

I find it vastly unlikely that this is a bug with .14.

You also might recover the project file from backups and diff those
against the current one.


More information about the QGIS-User mailing list