[QGIS-ZA-user] Notes from recent meetings

Cameron Muller mullerc24 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 10:35:05 PDT 2017

Hey Gavin,

Great to see your post to the QGIS user group. I've also grown great
interest in the use of QGIS and would like to gain further experience and
knowledge with the software. The forum boasts great potential in terms of
knowledge and experience.

I am currently based in Umhlanga, Durban. Our current system at work
involves the use of ArcGIS and Global Mapper with basic tasks being
performed in QGIS by less proficient users (ie. Image and shapefile
viewing). I would like to convert this to a full QGIS and PostGIS
environment in the near future.

My company is a multinational based company and currently undertake a
variety of tasks such as flood modelling, storm water analysis, development
planning, Lidar analysis, 3D Modelling and agricultural irrigation
planning.

When viewing the development process and applications of GIS within the
current sectors in which we work, I also noted the requirement for being
able to provide the spatial data over a means of mobile and user friendly
platforms. Hence, I undertook the task of learning to build Web Maps with
Geoserver, PostGIS and Openlayers3 as well as Leaflet. Athough time
consuming, I thought it would be best to understand the base before
resorting to the qgis2web plugin which I have since begun using.

I too would be very keen to get more involved with the QGIS users in the
area and possibly into development in the near future if the need or
opportunity did arise.

Will definitely be open to any meetings or discussions which may take place
in the area.

Kind regards,

Cameron Muller