[QGIS-ZA-user] CRS Trouble - EPSG:4326 -->EPSG:2048

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 23:48:19 PDT 2019

Hi Erick

> On 27 Mar 2019, at 01:09, E. Ndava via qgis-za-user <qgis-za-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
> Hi List
>
> This is not really a QGIS specific question/ issue, just that I am trying to achieve something within QGIS.
>
> The Case:
> I have data (geopackage attached) with crs WGS84, EPSG:2643

you mean 4326

> which I have gone through hoops and loops to no avail, to re-project to EPSG:2048. The result I am getting is to the effect that the data is flipped over the equator.

That’s perfectly correct and to be expected. 2048 is south-facing (wsu or west south up). If you want a north-facing or east north up one use ‘ZANGI HBKNO19’.

There are a bunch of new SA CRSs in the latest EPSG database that duplicate the south facing ones that were already there and add north facing variants (so the ZANGI ones can be retired). However they have issues: 102482 (should match 2048 but it doesn’t. It uses k=-1 which does the wrong thing and is deprecated) and 102562 (same effect as ZANGI HBKNO19 except 102562 uses k=1 which does nothing and is deprecated). So I would avoid using the new ones.

Gavin