[QGIS-ZA-user] How to export MTEXT when exporting to DXF in QGIS

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Dec 21 12:24:47 PST 2020

Dear Mike

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 12:32 PM Mike Caister via qgis-za-user <
qgis-za-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Good day,
>

> I am attempting the export DXF files from polygon shapefiles, using QGIS,
> but with the label for each exported polygon included in the DXF as MTEXT,
> and located inside its respective polygon.
>

> In a previous version of QGIS (2.14), the operation was successful, using
> the Project, DXF export . . . function. Both geometry and MTEXT were
> exported satisfactorily.
>

> I am attempting do the same operation in QGIS version 3.10, using the
> Project, Import/Export, Export project to DXF function. The “Export labels
> as MTEXT elements” has been selected. The geometry has exported
> successfully, but the MTEXT component export is not satisfactory. Only a
> few texts are exported (4 out of 23 entities), the texts are much too
> large, and their latch points are not located inside the polyline they are
> associated with. The test size appears to not be editable in the CAD
> software, and even if it was, it would be confusing, because its latch
> point is outside its polygon.
>

> The layer menu function of Export, Save selected features as. . ., AutoCAD
> DXF in QGIS version 3.10 also appears to not export the MTEXT.
>

> Are there any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, or suggestions of
> some other way the desired results may be achieved?
>

> Regards,
>
> Mike Caister
>
> Mike.Caister at drdlr.gov.za

There are a few open issues relating to this (see first two items at
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+mtext). Please
follow up the thread there or create a new issue if needed.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton
 * Desktop GIS programming services