[RouterGeocoder] building different layer for routing.

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Apr 1 16:02:25 EDT 2009

Roni,

Thank you for filling us in on what you have done so far.
If you and your colleague are both students it would be great if you
want to apply under the Google SoC, but you need to get registered and
get your initial proposal in quickly as time is running out. Regardless
of SoC or not, I think you guys would be great addition to OpenRouter
and we would be happy to see you contribute.

We are still somewhat unstructured here, but I would like to see this
project of yours move forward under OpenRouter. Our goal is to build a
commercial grade router that is released under an OpenSource license
like MIT-style license similar to what is used by mapserver:
     http://mapserver.org/copyright.html#license
One of the reason for using this style license is that mapserver has
been very successful at obtaining funding for various development
activities from corporate sponsors that do not want to deal with the GPL
licenses. We feel that we can potentially do the same thing here which
will help us to build a more viable community around OpenRouter and
eventually grow submit it for OSGeo incubation. I think the key to all
this is getting some enthusiastic developers and users and get some
working code that can demonstrate that we can build good working tools.

Best regards,
   -Steve