[SAC] Download Server

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Dec 15 14:17:33 EST 2006

FYI we have the same bandwidth issue with maptools.org, here is what we
did to setup our download server in case that helps.

In order to avoid having to manage duplicate accounts for every project
owner on the download server, what we do is maintain the downloads for
each project on the master website server in a "/dl/" sub-directory for
each virtualhost.

Actually, this "/dl/" subdirectory is a symlink to the master copy of
the maptools download repository on the master web server. This is where
project owners upload their files using the same account that they use
to manage their website.

Then we have a rsync job that copies the master download repository to
the download servers. We currently have only one download server at
http://dl.maptools.org/, but this setup will work great for any number
of download mirrors without having to provide accounts on multiple
servers to every project owner.

Finally, there is a rule in the web server that redirects any hit from
the "/dl/" sub-directory to the download server. i.e.
http://projectname.maptools.org/dl/whatever is magically redirected to
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/projectname/whatever...

Daniel

--