[SAC] Download Server

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 20 04:34:36 EST 2006

Robert Bray wrote:
> Any chance we can get some space on a telescience blade to host project
> software downloads? Hosting downloads at PEER1 could become costly for
> OSGEO because they charge for bandwidth past  a certain threshold. The
> general concept is to setup a domain such as:
>
> downloads.osgeo.org
>
> Within that domain would be directories for each project to use as
> either the primary download location or as a mirror to existing
> infrastructure. Each project owner / PSC could have an FTP account for
> uploading files.
>
> So in summary my questions are:
>
>     * Does this seem reasonable?
>     * When could we get something like this setup?

Bob,

I have setup a download.osgeo.org virtual host on the .219 telascience blade
(also known as buildbot.osgeo.org).  I also created a /osgeo/download area
for the download tree, and created a /osgeo/download/mapguide subdirectory
owned by you that you can put stuff in.

For now the "download server" is just an http tree.  Nothing fancy, but I
think this should be fine for the near future.

I can change the name "download.osgeo.org" to "downloads.osgeo.org" if
you want, but we should fix this soon if we are going to.  I copied the
name from a suggestion of Tyler in IRC before returning to reply to this
message.

I have documented the download server at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Download_Server

linked off the main SAC page, and the Server Status area for the .219
server.

At this point this should be seen as a prototype, and i'm seeking feedback
from SAC on whether the approach is ok, whether it should live elsewhere
instead and so forth.  But I thought the easiest way to get feedback was
to whip up a prototype.

The DNS entry for http://download.osgeo.org/ does not exist yet.  In
the meantime you can use http://buildbot.osgeo.org/download/.