[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri Jul 14 15:19:33 EDT 2006

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>     Who are you?
CCGIS, Germany

>     What are you using PostGIS for?
Hosting vector geometries in every single spatial data infastructure
that we set up.

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?
What else should we do?

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
That our administrator is happy maintaining productive client systems
using it.

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
That it does not have enough visibility. We could convince the client to
set up a demo system - which is very cool - but you cannot really see
PostGIS a lot. It is invisible software.

> Those who want to remain in confidence, but still want to make their
> feelings known, please respond to me directly.
>
> I am going to be writing up a handful of PostGIS users into full
> white-papers for the web site and my own conference talks, so please, if
> you think you have a compelling PostGIS story, start by giving us a
> summary here on the list!
>
> I love hearing these stories!
>
> Paul

Impressing list that is building up in this list. Congrats!

Find all the information regarding our latest project here:
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/FIONA_-_Online_Agricultural_Subsidy_Application_System

This system will probably be presented at the FOSS4G in Lausanne with
reference to an OSGeo SDI stack (Mapbender, GeoServer, MapServer). For
further details please contact uli.rothstein at ccgis.de or
peter.stamm at ccgis.de or me (I'll be back in three weeks).

More than half the links in the Mapbender Gallery have PostGIS somewhere
in their architecture, just browse whether there is anything interesting.
http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/Mapbender_Gallery

The coolest project is probably the OSGeo member list operated at
telascience that will be up and running for the FOSS4G. Hopefully - if
that kickstart server starts kicking.

Best regards,
Arnulf.