[SAC] server space at telascience

Benjamin Thelen bt at ccgis.de
Tue Jul 25 06:19:48 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam schrieb:
> Benjamin Thelen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I'm Benjamin, systems administrator of CCGIS/Bonn in Germany.
>> Arnulf told me, that there possibly will be server space, an incredibly
>> fast blade server :-), at telascience for hosting mapbender.org
>> (mediawiki, postgresql) itself and maybe some other related stuff.
>>

>> Also, there is a request on OSGeo-Edu to install a wiki for the EOGEO
>> FreeGIS Book. I think, that this would be a good opportunity to
>> move wiki.osgeo.org to telascience, too, to have it all together.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Benjamin,
>
> Indeed, I'm keen to have this setup.  My only concern is which machine to
> put it on, how to keep the various services segregated, and whether we
> ought to be looking at having the freegis book wiki using the LDAP
> service for user authentication so folks can share a signon between in
> and other services.

Hi Frank,

What about something like jails, used in FreeBSD, XEN or something like
that, to segregate things? I don't know, if there is something else
besides XEN similar like jails in Linux.

Could you find a possibility to use LDAP together with mediawiki? I
could't at first sight.

>  From a "which machine to put it on" point of view, we have had a delay in
> getting some of the blades configured due to issues with a "kickstart
> server".
> So, for now, we have one system with LDAP running on it, but we are
> trying to
> keep this system quite secure, so we likely don't want too much else on it.

I definitely like to have services segregated on different machines or
at least jails/s.th. like that to keep administration easier and more
secure.

> We have another system with a variety of software already installed.  We
> could use it, but I think if we do, then we need to treat this system as
> "medium security" and not provide shell accounts on it widely (to the
> geodata processing folks for instance) for fear of messing up important
> services (starting with this wiki).

I suggest to have the wikis on a seperate machine/jail, if possible.
Starting with the "freegis book wiki" (e.g. edu.osgeo.org/wiki), moving
the wiki.osgeo.org to telascience secondly and lastly mapbender.org,
which just consists of a mediawiki at the moment.

The question for me is, who will maintain and who will get access on
mapbender.org if moved to telascience?

wiki.osgeo.org is on a good machine at the moment, but I think, best
would be to have all under "one roof". Same with mapbender.org.

> Another service we would like to get setup is a bug database, initially for
> Mapbender, but later for other projects too, such as GDAL.  All in all, I
> think we need some careful planning of where things go to avoid services
> conflicting, or stuff getting lost in a tangle of different running systems
> all on the same machine.

Yes, I fully agree.

> So the system I was thinking of is 198.202.74.218 described at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SAC_Service_Status

Well, this is a machine "Lots of software installed, general use." -
comment from the wiki. Wouldn't it be better not to install additional
things, especially important services?  I cannot evaluate this machine.

Best,
Ben