[SAC] New Blades - Initialization and tasking

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 25 10:32:59 EDT 2006

Allan Doyle wrote:
> It sounds to me like a very short introduction to what the blade servers
> are, what kinds of CPUs, disks, etc. are available might be a good idea.
> Maybe there's even already a web page someone could direct is to that
> has this information.

Allan,

The blades are listed as "Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 1800+" (single cpu) in
/proc/cpuinfo.  It looks like they have 1GB of RAM.  Each blade has a local
25GB disk.  Substantially more space seems to be available via NFS from
"bucket".  The shared home directories are on a 34GB drive (shared between
all the blades for home directories) and perhaps some other purposes.  On
.218 I also see a 400GB drive mounted as /mnt/data3.  I imagine some of this
will be available for holding larger geodata datasets.

John, perhaps you can give a bit more detail on what disk resources are
available for geodata?  What spots you are ok with us making use of?

There is also a big multi-cpu Itanium server that could potentially be used
for heavy processing with John's permission though this machine isn't delgated
to OSGeo for our exclusive use.