Server host quotes

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Nov 4 01:45:41 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've got the three quotes back along with some clarifications.  I asked initially for quotes on configurations including two servers that had at least dual core or dual-cpu, 2Gb memory, and RAID.  I also asked that additional options ( for example dual PSUs, lights-out cards, backups, and managed firewall services) be quoted as additional options if they had the flexibility.

Some of the quotes are marked as confidential, so I can't distribute them on the public mailing list.  I will be making them available in an obscure directory as a password protected zipfile on my personal website; if you are interested in seeing them, please email me and I'll send you the location and password offline.  In the zipfile, each quote and supporting documentation (including follow up clarifications I asked for) is in its own directory.

Here's my initial analysis...

- EasyStreet looks like a good solution, but the price seems high for the hardware/bandwidth compared to the other providers.

- HE's hardware isn't high-end (and they don't offer higher levels), but bandwidth costs are reasonable and scaling out to additional servers is relatively inexpensive.  I like that the bandwidth is unbundled from the hardware maintenance; it allows us to grow either processing capacity or traffic independently.

- PEER1 seems to offer good value and great hardware, bandwidth is metered by total so spikes can't ruin our whole month, and they have additional services like managed firewall and daily offsite backups.  Their quote didn't include setup fees (may be able to get them waived).

I really welcome your feedback on this.  We need to avoid talking specific prices or otherwise giving away the details of the quotes on the public email list.  I think that the best approach might be if I start a massive CC list as you email me for the quote info.

Jason