[SAC] wiki.osgeo.org configuration and backup

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 13 10:40:58 EST 2007

Martin Spott wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:18:03AM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> Did you end up writing up a wiki page description the configuration and
>> management of wiki.osgeo.org?  If not, would you say that
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/103 is pretty much the definative
>> documentation on the wiki?
>
> "Since Wiki Migration is now complete, I've closed this ticket in favor
> of #165 , specifically targeted towards LDAP integration."
>
>   :-)
>
>  -> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/165

Martin,

Yes, I was aware of this other ticket, but I assume it only addresses
LDAP integration - not the general wiki setup.

>> Do we have any backup mechanism in place for the wiki?  To the best of
>> my knowledge there is no routine backups for the osgeo2 server.
>
> Oooops, I was under the impression that both PEER1 machines have a
> regular (TSM) backup, therefore I didn't care/investigate.
>
> To my understanding (from the talk on this list, I've never seen
> someone exposing any details of the respective contract) doing backups
> is part of the service agreement with PEER1 - is it not !? If this is
> not the case for 'osgeo2', then we'd probably arrange something ....
> We'd probably start with a regular database dump and a history thereof.

Indeed, currently the Peer1 tape backups will include everything on osgeo2.
My understanding from Jason is that file backups of Mysql databases
are not to be trusted very much since they could be inconsistent at the
point they are copied to tape.

Also, I would ideally like something more easily recovered from in case
something happens to the wiki database or if Peer1 becomes inaccessible for
a bit.