[SAC] Mailing list Administrative Passwords

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 3 11:55:45 EST 2007

Folks,

I think we have a bit of a problem with administration of the mailing lists
on lists.osgeo.org.  The basic issue is that many of the mailing lists do
not have a clear person responsible (most list several "administrators"
and/or moderators) but there is only one admin password per list.  Some
folks have gone in and changed the admin passwords (as was suggested during
the migration I believe).

But now, I get moderator emails for the www_international-discuss list (still
not loving the name) but I don't know the admin password for the list.

I would like to suggest we use a communal admin password for "shared" lists.
That is lists with multiple admin/moderators.  This would be provided to anyone
helping to admin lists.  But it would not preclude single-admined lists.

Normally I don't like communal passwords but it seems to me that "list
security" is not terribly important and mailman doesn't *seem* to offer an
easy option for LDAP based administration as far as I know (does it?)

If SAC is agreeable, I suggest we pick a memorable password but one not quite
as obvious as the original one that was assigned and distribute it privately
by email to anyone interested.  Shawn, is there a script that can be run to
forcable apply a new admin password?

If folks are agreeable, I will prepare a list of initial lists that I think
should be handled communally.  I will give a couple days for statements of
support or raising concerns.