[SAC] Mailing list Administrative Passwords

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Jan 3 11:05:05 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Normally I don't like communal passwords but it seems to me that "list
> security" is not terribly important and mailman doesn't *seem* to offer an
> easy option for LDAP based administration as far as I know (does it?)

How'bout setting up HTTP Basic authentication (i.e. good old web browser
password prompt) on http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/* to require
authenticated users for all the mailman admin scripts (I believe that's
admin and admindb but there may be others) and leaving the other public
scripts (i.e. listinfo, options and others?) not password-protected.

The HTTP Basic authentication could likely pull login names from LDAP to
check for authorized list admins, and then you could safely use a
communal password for the mailman password prompt.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/