[SAC] Caching website

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Jan 15 14:54:37 EST 2007

Yes, let's turn it on for at least a 1 hour interval.

Also, we should set up some mod_expires rules in the theme directory so
that static files like css and image files are cached locally for at
least "access + 1 day".  I do this on one of my hobby sites with
something like:

ExpiresActive
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 day"

I also enable gzip content compression via PHP as another method that
saves on bandwidth (at cost of CPU) and improves perceived performance.
This isn't on a Drupal site though; no idea how it interacts with gzip
compression.

Jason