[SAC] Mailing List Administration

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Jan 15 15:36:25 EST 2007

My preference is to outsource anything that is not trivial and is free
or easy to do elsewhere, whether it's commercial or not (if it counts,
Nabble is an open source shop, offering a commercial service).

We have extremely limited resources, and need to spend them in the way
that is most effective for our business.  Although the knowledge
delivered through our mailing lists is extremely critical, the search
interface to this is not a differentiator.  We can't offer a service
that adds more value than the commercial (free) options so, in my
opinion, we should not be wasting our resources on it.

If it doesn't work out, we still have our local archives and can turn up
a local search engine or point to a different archiving service at a
later date if we need to and have the resources at that time.

I have found Nabble's support to be very responsive and professional so
far.  They don't offer any guarantees.  Anyone with a Nabble account can
edit OSGeo-related categories.

Jason

P.S.  All of this is ignoring that Nabble offers a two-way web-based
interface to the mailing lists, which we definitely don't have the
resources to support.  I personally prefer mailing lists, but you would
be surprised at how many end users would much rather use a forum than
subscribe to a mailing list.  Some extremely active MapGuide users
contribute through Nabble.