[SAC] Virtual Hosts Policy

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 23 11:01:13 EST 2007

On 23-Jan-07, at 5:46 AM, Howard Butler wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2007, at 1:18 AM, Norman Vine wrote:
>>
>> Howard
>>
>> I vote for service.host.project
>>> http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal
>
> We seem to have consensus for service-based URLs.  A few more
> questions:
>
> 1) Does are accepting and implementing a policy affect other OSGeo
> groups that we aren't immediately thinking about?  geodata, wiki,
> education, etc?  Do we need their input?

Just for background, during migration we did not recreate all the
vhosts that CN project sites had since so many of them were nothing
more than a single page.

As a result, project-based URLs are not being used very much at the
moment, as we didn't port over more than Mapbender, MapGuide and FDO
projects.  I think it will be easiest from the Drupal admin point of
view to have the www face for projects use project-based URLs - where
there is 1 vhost per drupal instance.  But put up the other services
up as service-based URLs.

> 2) How should we go about implementing?  Do so immediately and
> point people to the new URLs with a transition period supported by
> rewrites?

You will see a bunch of rewrites already, at least for the www stuff,
to help emulate the past vhost-style setup and forward it to
osgeo.org/<project>.  This has worked fine except that now certain
projects (geodata, local chapters) need to manage the whole content
for their site and not just a few pages - so it seems like there is
increasing need to stand up more drupal instances.

Tyler