[SAC] Virtual Hosts Policy

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 23 11:16:03 EST 2007

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> You will see a bunch of rewrites already, at least for the www stuff, to
> help emulate the past vhost-style setup and forward it to
> osgeo.org/<project>.  This has worked fine except that now certain
> projects (geodata, local chapters) need to manage the whole content for
> their site and not just a few pages - so it seems like there is
> increasing need to stand up more drupal instances.

Tyler,

I can understand wanting distinct drupal instances for projects like
MapGuide, FDO and Mapbender (assuming they don't prefer to stay wiki
based), but do committees like geodata and local chapters actually
require distinct drupal instances?  Perhaps an ambitious local chapter
that wants an extensive amount of material might want it's own
instance, but for the amounts of material currently living in the
Wiki this doesn't seem critical.

I guess my point is that I'd prefer avoiding a proliferation of
Drupal instances if there isn't pressing need.  Amoung other things
we reduce the benefit of the built in drupal search stuff as we
split things into many instances.