[SAC] Mailman spam filtering?

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:10:04 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 6:58 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Hi SAC team,
> >
> > after the smooth migration of all GRASS Mailing lists to OSGeo (special
> > thanks to Frank for his immediate help to quickly migrate 13 lists!),
> > I now face the same problem as other Mailman moderators:
> > all the spam which is trapped and bombing my inbox with Mailman
> > notifications.
>
> Markus,
>
> Note, recent practice has been to set lists to just reject email
> from non-members to avoid it piling up in the moderation queue.  If
> that is acceptable practice to you, then it greatly reduces
> moderation headaches.

Right now, in the mailing list test phase I cannot do that since some
systems still need to be fixed (those which I even don't remember that
they worked like this, e.g., GRASS Quality Assessment system trigger,
bugtracker and CVS diff notifiers and stuff).

Something like greylisting is really easy (2 min installation) and drops
90% of rubbish:
http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/

In case we use postfix, this could be a first approach with rather 0 effort.
http://www.howtoforge.com/greylisting_postfix_postgrey

Markus