[SAC] Virtual Machines for Services

shawn barnes sbarnes at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Nov 20 14:22:21 EST 2007

I looked into and tested Xen about a year ago when i was deciding on a
virtual machine solution and I didn't find any real difference in
performance between Xen and vmware.  In the end i went with vmware
(would of preferred Xen b/c of it's OSS nature) but, it wasn't as
flexible nor as portable as vmware.

For vmware the general rule of thumb i've used for figuring out memory
resources is.

Amount of memory configured for each vm
+ (50MB * # of vms)
+ 24MB (virtualization layer)
+ 200MB (service console)
+ (6% min free memory level)
= min amount of ram needed.

I'm not sure what the comparable thumb rule for Xen is.

shawn