[SAC] PEER1 and Telascience server roles

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Oct 15 17:28:41 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'd like to open the question of roles/purposes for our servers
again.  I'll risk sounding out of touch, just so we can have the
conversation.  This is on my mind because of the task of moving the
wiki into OSGeo-managed infrastructure.  John's already got the shell
of a wiki instance up for us to use on a Telascience machine, but I'm
wondering if we should use one of the PEER1 hosted OSGeo servers
instead.

osgeo2 is not being used very much, however it is still critical as a
test instance of Drupal and other applications we test before loading
onto osgeo1.  I suggest we consider hosting some other services on
there, in particular the wiki.  I would personally feel more
comfortable if such a critical service were run from one of our own
hosted systems instead.  I won't argue about any of the other
services on Telascience as everyone seems to be content with the
current set up.

I don't have any breathtaking arguments to make my point, but from my
own perspective I just feel like our services are spread out maybe a
bit too wide and we could be making better use of osgeo2.  I'd also
rather not segment some of the more critical day-to-day services
(such as the wiki) from the rest of the infrastructure.
Managing parts of them has been really easy for me personally, it has
helped to have these identical systems so the learning curve isn't
steep when moving between them.  In the end we have several platforms
with some people helping administer various parts on one, but not
others.

I don't have any stats on uptime of either PEER1 or Telascience, but
am wondering if  anyone else does or has a gut feel of stability on
Telascience.  Should we view it as a stable platform for critical
communication tools, like the wiki?  I know I'd sure prefer to take
out frustrations on Mr. X Hosting Provider rather than see John in a
tough spot trying to help us while also doing his 'normal' job :)

I'm sure there are other factors to consider, and that some of my
reluctance may be unwarranted or uneducated, but I just want to get
the discussion going.  Feel free to remind me of past discussions if
I've forgotten any earlier decisions about this.

Any other factors to consider (aside from software versions, etc.)
for moving our wiki onto osgeo2?

</ramble>
Tyler