[SAC] PEER1 and Telascience server roles

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Oct 16 11:15:56 EDT 2007

The original intention of having the two servers was to set them up with
cross-backups and production services on both, so that if one had to be
brought down the other could be turned up with all services running
quickly.

This didn't materialize, and as it stands the second server is just a
test machine.  I think that this is a bit of a waste of high-powered
server, and would be happy to see the second server take on some of the
production services.  I really appreciate the support that we get at
Telascience, but I would prefer to see services that have a strong
impact on our public image or projects' ability to get things done (SVN,
etc) on servers where we have an SLA.  Even if SLAs don't really mean
anything.

If the second machine is not used for production services, I think that
we should consider decommissioning it after our current (two year?)
commitment.

I am not entirely convinced that the wiki falls under this category,
but...

Jason