[SAC] xblade11 as a build server?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 14 13:25:01 EDT 2008

Folks,

I was speaking with Justin and Jeroen in IRC about setting up somewhere
that GeoTools and GeoNetwork continuous builds can be run, using Hudson
as a builder.  I gather these are roughly the equivelent of buildbot for
the C world, or the Continuum builds the MapBuilder guys are doing on
xblade14.

The space/cpu requirements for GeoNetwork are pretty modest, but Justin
suggested that full GeoTools builds with all the testing is non-trivial
and he was concerned it could negatively impact some of the other services
on the blade if it was run on xblade14 (grass website/wiki, gdal web site,
buildbot master, continuum builds).

So I suggested it might be good to dedicate another blade as a "build slave"
primarily.  It could be initially used for the GeoTools and GeoNetwork
Hudson builds, but hopefully would also be available as a buildslave for
buildbot (especially projects that are now quite intimidating like FDO
and MapGuide), and possibly other Java projects (like gvSig or eventually
deegree) would be interested in this.

To that end, I'm proposing we rededicate xblade 11 to this purpose.

Currently xblade11 is earmarked for the geodata committee, but since the
disk failed several months ago I gather they have not used it at all (AFAIK).
With the use of other Hyper* machines, I think the blade has been largely
unneeded from their point of view.

I have established a ticket on the issue:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/247

Any thoughts?  Should I raise a formal motion to this effect?