[SAC] LDAP / Web Tools

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Feb 2 16:31:20 EST 2008

Folks,

I have implemented a few new features in my LDAP / Python web pages.

1) https://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/auth/ldap_group.py will now let anyone
in "cn=admin,ou=projects" to edit any group in addition to members of a
group being able to edit their own group.

2) https://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/auth/ldap_web_search.py is a new variation
on the existing public ldap search form.  But this one requires authentication
as a member of "cn=admin,ou=projects", and it will show the email addresses as
well as userids and common name.  It also includes a link to ldap_edit_user.py
for each user found.

3) https://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/auth/ldap_edit_user.py will now allow anyone
in "cn=admin,ou=projects" to edit any osgeo userid (in addition to allowing
the user themselves to edit).  This means we no longer need to go through
phpldapadmin to reset a password for instance.

I have also taken the section on LDAP out of the migration document and made it
a standalone wiki page at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SAC:LDAP

And I added notes on the various web tools available.  I don't feel some of
this info is particularly appropriate for the "outward facing" page at
http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid.

Currently the "admin" group includes Tyler, Martin, Howard, Shawn and myself.
As far as I know, the only purpose it serves is this admin role for the various
web scripts.  So only folks intended to have ldap update access should be in
it.