[SAC] Fwd: One off posting to the list

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:03:21 EDT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Adrian Custer <acuster at gmail.com>
> Date: June 25, 2008 8:46:16 AM CDT
> To: sac-owner at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: One off posting to the list
>
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to reach the SAC and was automatically rejected. Could
> you
> please forward this through? Thank you,  --adrian
>

> Hey all,
>
> Can the osgeo infrastructure serve as a Source Code Management system
> for the currently incubating, soon graduated (we hope), project
> GeoTools?
>
> We are looking to host our code and evaluating the choices. The code
> base is a 1.6GB svn dump. Can OSGeo host such a thing? Can OSGeo host
> both/either svn and mercurial? Who is doing the work to keep the svn/
> hg
> services running and under what constraints? How well have services
> been
> running so far?
>
> In other words, where can I find more info on the services and status
> and how, if we decide to move our code to OSGeo, do we ask for
> permission and do the work for the move?
>
> Pointers, help, advice and comments all appreciated,
>
> thanks,
>   adrian
>
> P.S. Please respond directly to me since I am not on your
> administration
> list. Thank you.

Adrian,

SAC currently maintains only subversion for the projects, and
importing your dump file would not be a problem.  As far as Mercurial,
I don't think we have a technical problem with doing that, although we
would probably need an administrator with familiarity with it to step
forward.  I personally think hg would provide a nice alternative to
the more rigid svn and we as SAC should explore implementing it.

As far as service availability, we're definitely not a five 9's-type
operation, but because it is such an important piece of infrastructure
for the projects, the motivation to keep things alive and going is
quite strong.  This has meant issues are quickly identified and dealt
with when they do come up.  SAC is an entirely volunteer operation,
however, so if you as a project want something special or you want
more assurance of protecting availability, volunteering to help out on
SAC is the way to do it.

Any OSGeo project that is in incubation (or graduated) can request
services from SAC.  File a ticket in the SAC component of the OSGeo
Trac instance (http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo). Again, because SAC is
volunteer, they are what you make it.  Some projects are more active
in SAC than others, with a few just using SVN/Trac/Mailman (which
doesn't have too much administrative load) and others participating as
active members of SAC to build up the infrastructure they need.

Howard