[SAC] Apache Hung

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Mar 25 17:09:09 EDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Is it just doing
> wget http://www.osgeo.org  or some specific file that is, perhaps, being
> locked from time to time?

It's hitting the home page with:

   wget -q -T 5 --delete-after http://www.osgeo.org

> Maybe an Apache update is needed?

Dunno. I get the same behavior with the maptools.org download server
when it comes back to life after it has stopped responding due to
unfriendly download accelerators, so I doubt the problem is specific to
the Apache version that you're running.

I suspect wget gets into some kind of retry loop when the server does
not respond despite the "-T 5" arg that should tell it to give up after
5 seconds.

... man wget ...

I just found the "-t" option:

"""
   Set number of retries to number.  Specify 0 or inf for infinite
   retrying.  The default is to retry 20 times, with the exception of
   fatal errors like ‘‘connection refused’’ or ‘‘not found’’ (404),
   which are not retried.
"""

I'll add a "-t 1" arg to the wget command... let's see if that helps...
or if that makes things worse.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette