[SAC] [OSGeo] #296: create OSGeo repository for .deb's for LiveDVD & documentation

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sun Oct 5 14:32:40 EDT 2008

OSGeo wrote:
> #296: create OSGeo repository for .deb's for LiveDVD & documentation
> --------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
> Reporter:  tbowden  |       Owner:  sac at lists.osgeo.org
>     Type:  task     |      Status:  new
>  We need to create a repo for storing OSGeo created .deb's of apps &
>  educational material as packaged.  Target platform will (for now at least)
>  be Ubuntu 8.10 (due in a few weeks).

I believe we need also a new discussion list for the LiveDVD project.

My first attempt to create an instance to create packages just failed
miserably. I started from the LiveDVD, installed from it, then added
some packages (debian sid gdal etc.) to be able to compile some of my
own packages (Perl modules mainly), ended up with Perl reporting double
free errors. The probable reason for those is a mixture of older libs
(perl 5.8) with newer ones (perl 5.10). A total catastrophe was then
created by trying to update the older ones also. Well, I'll look into
the ubuntu 8.10.

Tim, Charlie must have mentioned these:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/education/Releases/UMass/IntroductionToGisUsingQgisV0.8

To me they look prime candidates to be put into packages for the LiveDVD.

I also added a link to the root: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser to
the main page of our wiki (panel General OSGeo) since I didn't know
about that repo and don't see links to it anywhere.

Regards,

Ari